Flossing is a very healthy oral care habit that most of the people ignore. But the good thing is that there are various dental care products available on the market, which you can select to add flossing to your daily routine. Knowing the difference between two such products, dental tape vs floss, can help you decide which one is right for your teeth.
Dental Tape Vs Floss
Dental floss and dental tape come in handy to clean the surfaces between your teeth where a brush cannot reach. Sometimes also called ribbon tape, Dental floss is a thin strand of twisted nylon filaments. Dental tape is very similar to dental floss but is broader and flatter.
Choosing between dental tape and floss depends on which one is best at cleaning between your teeth and which one is easy for you to use. For instance, waxed dental floss is recommended for people whose teeth are tightly packed together. Similarly, some people find it hard to handle thin strands of floss, so dental tape is a better option for them.
How to Use Dental Floss or Tape
The procedure of flossing using both is very similar, follow these simple steps:
- First, take a strand of roughly 18 inches of tape or floss
- Then wind both ends of floss to your middle fingers
- Tighten or get control of the floss using your thumb and pointer finger
- Insert the floss of tape between the gaps of your teeth and wind around the edge of the tooth
- Using a gentle back and forth motion work the floss or tape up between the teeth space
- Rearrange the floss to get a cleaner part for the next gap
- Repeat for all gaps
If you have any questions regarding dental tape or dental floss, do not hesitate to call Brookshire Smile Dental at 281-934-1010.